Friday, March 7, 2014

THE HOLY GARMENT

 


 One of the words that caught my attention among many that inspired us on the last Night Vigil of the Assistants, was something that I have not seen in many assistants, and you should all be more attentive to: I am talking about your uniform.

Many assistants treat their uniform recklessly. Starting with the male assistants, whose white of their shirts is grimy and that their trousers are old and faded, shoes are poorly polished or not polished at all, their belts have damaged holes, dull buckle. In short, we are men of God and this condition requires neatness and zeal for everything related to us, including our appearance. I remember when I was an assistant, I was working but did not have a good salary. And I had to spend a lot with my wedding, but if there was one thing that I would always care for, that was my uniform, because it represented my spiritual garments. The scriptures show God's concern for the priests’ garments:


“The holy garments of Aaron to shall be his sons’ after him, to be anointed and consecrated in them.” (Exodus 29:29)

And what should we say about some female assistants? They are the ones who we observe the most for we know that they like to zeal for their appearance more than men. But assistants, should your zeal be more for your civilian clothes and not for your uniform, which is sacred, as we read above? I do not believe that an assistant filled with the Spirit of God and born again can be negligent (reckless) with her clothes, that represent her spirituality. Assistants, listen carefully to what called the attention of the disciples at Jesus’ transfiguration on the Mount:

“... His clothes became shining, exceedingly white, like snow, such as no launderer on earth can whiten them.” Mark 9:3

The uniform is something sacred, that the assistant who is of God is pleased to display in the best way possible, because among other things, it represents the uniform of the soldiers of the Army of God, who is Invincible in battle.

Let us recall what Bishop spoke about our uniform.

May God bless you,
Bp Sérgio Correa







0 comments:

Post a Comment